In addition to the important takeaways from the first day of ICHOM 2023, I came away from the conference with renewed energy and clarity for how ICHOM’s work is a powerful tool for change. As I collaborate with colleagues and partners to shape our forward-looking strategic plan, the following themes are foremost in my mind. Thank you to the speakers, leaders, and participants who emphasized these points:
- Patients are essential leaders and partners in this work. Start with them, build long-term relationships and respect and compensate them as experts.
- Transparency is a critical element of trust, which is an essential foundation for real change.
- Measuring the results (outcomes) of care is THE key to improved shared decisions with patients, patient safety, and equity. ICHOM’s role in emphasizing the importance of outcomes measurement for broader policy and population health supports the community in their endeavors.
- Regional context matters – language, customization/prioritization of metrics, and implementation strategies must be relevant to more localized goals, customs and culture.
- Partnership and sharing knowledge are essential for accelerating implementation and impact.
I really enjoyed meeting you all, and I look forward to seeing you next year. You can register your interest for 2024, here: https://conference.ichom.org/ichom-2024/